Wednesday, May 26, 2010

TVP and dry milk

My mom and I were discussing storing meat one day, and she suggested TVP. "TVP?" I asked. "What's that?" I guess its a meat substitute that is dry that can be used in food storage, and my mom says its an okay-tasting substitute. I did find it at my local WinCo store in the bulk section.

Only problem is, TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein) is one of the sources of hidden MSG. So, TVP: out.

Another common food storage item: dry milk powder. This is another ingredient that often contains MSG due to processing. What to do without dry milk in an emergency situation? Where are we going to get our calcium? (My bread actually tastes fine when I omit it, b.t.w.)

Sounds like a doozy, but milk is not the only source of calcium, perhaps not even the best. To some this may be good news because not liking powdered milk is one of the hurdles of eating food storage food. (blog "Adventures in Self-Reliance" has a dry-milk comparison of brands to help). Other sources of calcium include: broccoli, collards, bok choy, black eye peas, spinach, trail mix, baked beans. (sources: spine-health.com, iloveindia)

Okay, so we're back to square one. How often do I eat these things, especially in food storage? Plus we'll have to be counting our calcium with a list of how much each of these contain instead of just counting glasses of milk (much easier).

This video here states protein inhibits calcium absorption, and of course milk is full of calcium. (Soda also inhibits calcium absorption, and too much calcium can't be absorbed all at once). I'm not sure about the statements made in here, but here it is: Milk the Deadly Poison on Hard Copy I do have to say, my grandmother lived on a dairy farm all her married life, and does have osteoporosis.

My husband says that after taking Biology at WSU, he wondered why we are still drinking milk. He says he really likes it, but he learned that everyone is eventually going to contract lactose intolerance (symptoms: bloating, gas, etc.) and whenever he has those symptoms, he thinks he must finally be lactose intolerant.

Children with autism are recommended trying a diet free of dairy, wheat, artificial sweeteners, and MSG.

No comments:

Post a Comment