Saturday, May 22, 2010

Fish Crackers: Thorn in my side


I don't know what your kids get for a snack when they're at childcare, but its universal in my church that children are fed fish crackers. So, I decided to check what's in them, ducked behind the counter and started reading labels on the pretzels, animal crackers, and goldfish crackers. Well, I knew Goldfish crackers had autolyzed yeast (see hidden MSG list), but all the snacks were pretty much tainted.

So, I thought, should I refuse my child getting these snacks? I hesitated, and it was soon too late.

I go home, and read this: in a study, rats given MSG in the first 9 days of life become obese; they were then taken off MSG and the obesity remained and it was very hard to diet or exercise off. Make me barf.

Have I got a thing against my kids being fat? I'll love them however they are, and I'm quite resigned to the fact that fat is a part of life and I'll never look like a supermodel. But, purposely, avoidably, causing our kids to be obese? Please, no.

So, I'm now on a bring-my-own snack plan, and its working okay so far. Just got to keep it up. And even if I do create upheaval, at least I'll be making a political statement.

If this sounds bizarre, I agree, but its serious how harmful MSG is. More on how excitotoxins affect developing brains from the book Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills by Dr. Russell Blaylock, M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment