Saturday, July 24, 2010

BPA in milk jugs

So, after making my raw milk google map, I got to thinking about milk containers, and whether they have BPA, and was wondering if after all those phone calls I made if I'd have to make a ton more to ask if they sold in "glass." Well, I googled it, and BPA is a real mess. No one knows what they're talking about when it comes to avoiding BPA. They all contradict each other. I guess I better go to the real sources, like ask Alex (my friend here in Pullman!) or Patricia Hunt, of Washington State University. My husband comes home and says, "Well, after all that hype about BPA, don't you think your milk is BPA-free?" I don't think so. The only things I've seen changed are 1. water bottles 2. baby bottles and 3. home storage containers that all say "BPA free" on them.

Some people in online conversations claimed milk gallons have BPA, others didn't, but those that said they do advised keeping them cool and not re-using them. Then, I thought, what does that mean for recycled milk containers? Does that for sure put BPA (if there is any) in our food?

What really grossed me out is that the cardboard milk cartons are lined with BPA. AAaahh! So, after trying moderately to avoid BPA I get poisoned by WIC and I've totally been eating BPA because they require that you buy milk in "half gallon" and "quart" quantities at times. Thanks a lot, WIC! I went to the fridge, sure enough had a carton, and dumped it down the toilet.

I was doubtful if there was any concern about BPA, and then while watching Homo Toxicus one man stated the biggest danger he sees in our environment is BPA, and that scientific research has shown that harmful affects have been found to occur at 23 parts per trillion.

Other interesting things she points out are flame retardants all over our computers, electronics, couches, furniture, mattresses, etc., and our children are exposed to them all the time. She also visited communities that were highly exposed to toxins, like the Inuit of Canada, and others around industrial plants. She went to the lakes and streams and found deformed frogs unable to reproduce because of all the chemical estrogen-like mimicry polluting the water. Additionally, she found sterility among male agricultural workers that are exposed to dangerous pesticides and herbicides, and there is even a GMO corn that was approved to be used as cattle feed only and banned from human consumption because it causes male infertility in humans, but it actually got into our food supply, which they say was inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment